Video Poker Rules
The game starts with you placing a bet on the video poker machine and then being dealt five cards. After this, you have to press the hold button under the cards you want to keep. The ones you don’t hold will be discarded and replaced with new cards. The machine will then tabulate your payoff from your best hand.
The following combinations are hands that pay off in poker, starting with the worst, which is a one-pair hand. This can consist of pairs of aces, kings, queens and jacks. A two pair is a double set of cards that have the same value and one other card, such as 9, 9, 8, 8 and 5.
- If your hand consists of two odd cards and three cards of the same point value, that makes three of a kind.
- Next is a straight, which is five cards in order, but of different suits. A six of hearts, seven of spades, eight of diamonds, nine of clubs and 10 of hearts is an example of a straight.
- Five cards of the same suit makes a flush and a full house is three cards of one rank and two cards of another rank, like three jacks and two queens.
- Four same-value cards and one other card is considered four of a kind.
- Five cards in order of the same suit is a straight flush and is the second ranking combination in poker.
- A 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of the same suit is a royal flush, which is considered the highest poker hand.